f python?

Kaz Kylheku kaz at kylheku.com
Sun Apr 8 13:25:38 EDT 2012

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.lisp.]
On 2012-04-08, David Canzi <dmcanzi at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Xah Lee  <xahlee at gmail.com> wrote:
>>hi guys,
>>
>>sorry am feeling a bit prolifit lately.
>>
>>today's show, is: 'Fuck Python'
>>http://xahlee.org/comp/fuck_python.html
>>
>>------------------------------------
>>Fuck Python
>> By Xah Lee, 2012-04-08
>>
>>fuck Python.
>>
>>just fucking spend 2 hours and still going.
>>
>>here's the short story.
>>
>>so recently i switched to a Windows version of python. Now, Windows
>>version takes path using win backslash, instead of cygwin slash. This
>>fucking broke my find/replace scripts that takes a dir level as input.
>>Because i was counting slashes.
>>
>>Ok no problem. My sloppiness. After all, my implementation wasn't
>>portable. So, let's fix it. After a while, discovered there's the
>>'os.sep'. Ok, replace "/" to 'os.sep', done. Then, bang, all hell
>>went lose. Because, the backslash is used as escape in string, so any
>>regex that manipulate path got fucked majorly.
>
> When Microsoft created MS-DOS, they decided to use '\' as
> the separator in file names.

This is false. The MS-DOS (dare I say it) "kernel" accepts both forward and
backslashes as separators.

The application-level choice was once configurable through a variable
in COMMAND.COM. Then they hard-coded it to backslash.

However, Microsoft operating systems continued to (and until this day)
recognize slash as a path separator.

Only, there are broken userland programs on Windows which don't know this.

> So, when you say fuck Python, are you sure you're shooting at the
> right target?

I would have to say, probably yes.