Distribute app without source?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Apr 7 13:22:41 EDT 2012

On 4/7/2012 9:07 AM, Bill Felton wrote:
> Thanks in advance for any insights!
>
> My partner and I have developed an application primarily
 > intended for internal use within our company.  However, we face the
 > need  to expose the app to certain non-employees.
> We would like to do so without exposing our source code.

To really do that, make it a web service, so the code only lives on your
server. That also takes care of

> Our targets include users of Windows and Mac OS, but not UNIX.

You could also distribute .pyc files compiled from obfuscated .py files.

> We are using Python 3.2 and tkinter.  It appears, and limited testing
> bears out, that py2app, and presumably py2exe, are not options given
> lack of 3.x support.  PyInstaller does not support the 64-bit version
> we are using.

Any such thing will include the contents of .pyc files somehow, even if
harder to get at.

> Does it make sense for us to try to use pyInstaller with a 32-bit
> install of Python 3.2?

If you app runs within 2 GB, I would think yes.

--
Terry Jan Reedy