Installing Python 2.6.7 on Windows

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Sep 28 21:49:25 EDT 2011

En Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:10:38 -0300, Nobody <nobody at nowhere.com> escribió:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:21:25 -0700, Ned Deily wrote:
>
>> No, it was a deliberate decision.  After a release is in security-fix
>> mode only, we don't build Windows or Mac OS X installers for them.
>
> But you continue to offer the installers for the unfixed version.

As well as all the previous ones back to Python 1.x

I can think of several alternatives:

* Upgrade to Python 2.7, the current stable and maintained release.

* Compile Python 2.6.7 yourself. For the 32 bits version, you may use
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition (free/gratis); see
PCbuild\readme.txt for details. Obtain the required dependencies using
Tools\buildbot\external.bat. It compiles cleanly out of the box.

* Obtain the compiled binary somewhere else. Considering that 2.6.7 is
just a security patch, I'm not sure if running a precompiled binary from
untrusted sources is any better than sticking with the official, previous
version. I've built the binaries, in case you're interested.

* Compare both source trees and look at their differences. Most of them
are in Python modules that you can just drop over an existing 2.6.6
install. Only two C modules have changed, and require rebuilding
python26.dll:

  timemodule.c r87648: Issue #8013: Fixed time.asctime segfault when OS's
asctime fails
  unicodedata.c http://bugs.python.org/issue10254

If you think you're not affected by these, just ignore 2.6.7 (or apply
only the .py changes)

--
Gabriel Genellina