Suggested coding style

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Sun Sep 25 14:46:14 EDT 2011

* Devin Jeanpierre <jeanpierreda at gmail.com> [110924 19:07]:
> > Padding numbers with leading zeroes is very common. I'm surprised that
> > more languages don't make it a string method.
>
> By making it a string method, instead of a function, we force all
> implementations of strings to implement that method. That sort of
> sucks, and it's a reason not to include it as a method.
  Why does it suck? And why do people say 'suck' so much, especially
  in technical venues?
  :) Just answer the first question, the second is rhetorical. I
  think that your answer, regardless of whether I agree with it may
  edify me serendipitously.

> It can, after all, be implemented as a function, and in doing so
> (with the appropriate operator overloading) that function could
> work with multiple implementations of strings. Instead any
> implementation of a string must implement that method. That's a
> waste.
 I'm not sure what you mean. I've written my own `split' function. I
 don't believe that there would be any conflict if you wrote your
 own `zfill' function. Or if there would be, I'd want to know before
 I hurt myself.

 regards
--
Tim