Suggested coding style

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 22:55:10 EDT 2011

> Padding numbers with leading zeroes is very common. I'm surprised that
> more languages don't make it a string method.

By making it a string method, instead of a function, we force all
implementations of strings to implement that method. That sort of
sucks, and it's a reason not to include it as a method. It can, after
all, be implemented as a function, and in doing so (with the
appropriate operator overloading) that function could work with
multiple implementations of strings. Instead any implementation of a
string must implement that method. That's a waste.

Of course, one could argue that there are very few string
implementations. On the other hand, there were three in the stdlib in
2.x, and there are other concepts of strings (like ropes) that are
more efficient for different use-cases. The third string in the stdlib,
mmap, didn't even bother implementing the full string interface. It's
just so damned big. (Also some methods didn't apply, like zfill, but
hey!)

At the very least, it's sort of ugly from my perspective to tack on
trivial things like this to be string methods.

But sure, yeah, as a bonus you get to do fewer imports. That's pretty
great too, I guess.

Devin

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Steven D'Aprano