Odd behavior with imp.reload and logging

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 02:46:59 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The main program is an IRC bot, which could potentially be in use by
> many people in several channels on a network. As it is, the bot can only
> connect to one server, but it could probably be set up to connect to any
> number of networks. Making a number of quick fixes or changes to one
> module could be very irritating to users if the bot has to terminate
> each time, especially if those users don't know or care about that
> specific module.
> Startup time is an issue because it must connect to a network before it
> can take any input. Also, many disconnects/reconnects could easily cause
> problems (like the network refusing the connection as a DoS prevention
> measure).

Playing with networking and the desire to reload without restarting? I
think Pike may be a good choice for you. It has a C-like syntax but
Python-like guts; you use braces to delimit blocks of code, but arrays
and mappings and such are first-class objects that you can pass around
and use. It's a favorite of mine, but quite off-topic for this mailing
list; I'd be happy to help you get started with it.

Chris Angelico