Fwd: Turkic I and re

John-John Tedro johnjohn.tedro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 04:00:16 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Steven D'Aprano <
steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> Thomas Rachel wrote:
>
> > Am 15.09.2011 15:16 schrieb Alan Plum:
> >
> >> The Turkish 'I' is a peculiarity that will probably haunt us programmers
> >> until hell freezes over.
>

> Meh, I don't think it's much more peculiar that any other diacritic issue.
> If I'm German or English, I probably want ö and O to match during
> case-insensitive comparisons, so that Zöe and ZOE match. If I'm Icelandic,
> I don't. I don't really see why Turkic gets singled out.
>

> > That's why it would have been nice if the Unicode guys had defined "both
> > Turkish i-s" at separate codepoints.
> >
> > Then one could have the three pairs
> > I, i ("normal")
> > I (other one), ı
> >
> > and
> >
> > İ, i (the other one).
>
> And then people will say, "How can I match both sorts of dotless uppercase
> but not dotted I when I'm doing comparisons?"
>

> --
> Steven
>
> --

Yeah, it's more probable that language conventions and functions grow around
characters that look right.

No one except developers care what specific codepoint they have, so soon you
would have a mish-mash of special rules converting between each special
case.

P.S. Sorry Steven, i missed clicking "reply to all".

-- John-John Tedro