Turkic I and re

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 16 03:25:39 EDT 2011

Thomas Rachel wrote:

> Am 15.09.2011 15:16 schrieb Alan Plum:
>
>> The Turkish 'I' is a peculiarity that will probably haunt us programmers
>> until hell freezes over.

Meh, I don't think it's much more peculiar that any other diacritic issue.
If I'm German or English, I probably want ö and O to match during
case-insensitive comparisons, so that Zöe and ZOE match. If I'm Icelandic,
I don't. I don't really see why Turkic gets singled out.

> That's why it would have been nice if the Unicode guys had defined "both
> Turkish i-s" at separate codepoints.
>
> Then one could have the three pairs
> I, i ("normal")
> I (other one), ı
>
> and
>
> İ, i (the other one).

And then people will say, "How can I match both sorts of dotless uppercase I
but not dotted I when I'm doing comparisons?"

--
Steven