webapp development in pure python

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Wed Oct 26 17:47:03 EDT 2011

I am not really an expert web developer, so this is just my two cents.

> My Python module would connect to a database server and query
>some data, then display it in a grid. This cannot be compiled into
>javascript because of the database server connection.

You technically can connect to databases from JavaScript. It is a terrible idea, but achievable. Not really sure how it would get "compiled" into JavaScript, so it is possible that is the stumbling block.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/857670/how-to-connect-to-sql-server-database-from-javascript

>I would have to create the server side part separately, the user interface separately, and hand-code the communication between the widets and the server side.

As far as I know, this is the Right way to do a web/GUI apps; you may want to read about the MVC design pattern.

>I would like to use this theoretical web based framework just like pygtk or wxPython

Even in wxPython/pygtk, you should be using MVC pattern. Usually if your app is one class, you either have a trivial application or you are doing it wrong. Of course, that really applies to larger projects more than hacked together code for personal use.

Apologies in advance if I misunderstood something.

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423