How do I get curses to work in Python 3.2 on win-64?

Christoph Gohlke cjgohlke at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 00:59:04 EDT 2011

On Oct 15, 1:13 pm, Jan Sundström <sundstro... at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I get curses to work in Python 3.2 on win-64?
>
> I'm new to Python and when exploring Python in console I want to use
> some
> simple functions for console programming that don't emulate a
> typewriter
> terminal but rather a text screen terminal. I want to be able to clear
> the screen, position the cursor
> and do unbuffered reading from the keyboard. Also setting different
> colors for the text and background.
>
> That could in Windows be accomplished by the handy WConio (http://
> newcenturycomputers.net/projects/wconio.html)
> which contains just about everything that is needed for a console
> application to become useful.
>
> However I want to accomplish it in Python 3.2 because I lack the
> experience to build it myself. Now an alternative would
> be to use some flavor of curses. Although having a plethora of
> unnecessary functions it has the advantage of
> existing for different platforms.
>
> I'm currently running Python 3.2.2 on win-64
> When Python is installed there is a Python32/Lib/curses library. As I
> understand it this is only a some sort of
> wrapper for a curses module to be downloaded and installed later??
>
> So I downloaded and installed a curses module I that found and which
> seemed appropriate:
>
> curses-2.2.win-amd64-py3.2.exe
>
> from
>
> http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/
>
> It installed some stuff directly in Python32/lib/sitepackages.
>
> Now when I try in a program to do things like:
>
> import curses
> stdscr = curses.initscr
>
> Python complains it can't find curses. However if I do
>
> import _curses
> stdscr = _curses.initscr
>
> etc., everything works fine. I shouldn't have to write the underscores
> though??
> How can I fix that?
> Should I try to find some other version of curses?
>
> It seems I haven't yet grasped how to install a Python module?
>
> /John

`import curses` should work. What exactly is the error message? Does
`import curses` work outside your program/program directory?

The curses package is part of the standard library and usually
installed in Python32\Lib\curses. On Windows the  _curses.pyd files is
missing in the standard distribution. curses-2.2.win-amd64-py3.2.exe
installs the missing _curses.pyd file into Lib/site-packages.