how to call java methods in python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Oct 4 21:27:27 EDT 2011

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 00:14:49 -0700, masood shaik wrote:

> Hi
>   I am trying out my hand on accessing java methods in python. here is
> my piece of code..
[...]
> Now i am trying to access the calculateTip() and its showing import
> error.
> It works fine when i am running it with jython but why its not happening
> in python.

Jython *is* Python. It is a Python implementation built on the Java
virtual machine. Integrating Java with Python is a major reason for using
Jython.

http://www.jython.org/

You can't just import a Java library into the C implementation of Python,
any more than you can just import a Python library into Java. You need an
interface between them. Jython includes one such interface. The C
reference implementation of Python does not.

To integrate Java libraries with CPython is harder, but not impossible. I
have never tried any of these, but you could try JPype, Py4J, or JCC:

http://jpype.sourceforge.net/
http://py4j.sourceforge.net/index.html
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/JCC/2.1

--