lxml precaching DTD for document verification.

Gelonida N gelonida at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 19:32:33 EST 2011

On 11/27/2011 10:33 PM, John Gordon wrote:
> In <roy-6F0FD0.15291227112011 at news.panix.com> Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:
>
>> In article <mailman.3078.1322420265.27778.python-list at python.org>,
>>  Gelonida N <gelonida at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to verify some (x)html / / html5 / xml documents from a server.
>
>> I'm sure you could roll your own validator with lxml and some DTDs, but
>> you would probably save yourself a huge amount of effort by just using
>> the validator the W3C provides (http://validator.w3.org/).

This validator requires that I post the code to some host.
The contents that I'd like to verify is intranet contents, which I am
not allowed to post to an external site.

> With regards to XML, he may mean that he wants to validate that the
> document conforms to a specific format, not just that it is generally
> valid XML.  I don't think the w3 validator will do that.

Basically I want to integrate this into a django unit test.

I noticed, that some of of the templates generate documents with
mismatching DTD headers / contents.
All of the HTML code is parsable as xml (if it isn't it's a bug)

There are also some custom XML files, which have their specific DTDs

So I thought about validating some of the generated html with lxml.

the django test environment allows to run test clients, which are
supposedly much faster than a real http client.