my new project, is this the right way?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Nov 25 12:16:21 EST 2011

In article
<581dab49-e6b0-4fea-915c-4a41fa887c3b at p7g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
 rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> First you must figure out how to structure data -- jargon is
> normalization. After that you can look at transactions, ACID,
> distribution and all the other good stuff.

And when you're all done with that, you can start unlearning everything
you've learned about normalization (not that you shouldn't learn about
it in the first place, just that you should also learn when excessive
normalization is a bad thing).

And then start looking at BASE (Basic Availability, Soft-state,
Eventually consistent) as an alternative to ACID.

Don't get me wrong.  SQL is a powerful tool, and truly revolutionized
the database world.  Anybody who is thinking about going into databases
as a career needs to know SQL.  But, it's not the end of the road.
There is life after SQL, and that's worth exploring too.