my new project, is this the right way?

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 12:01:34 EST 2011

On Nov 14, 3:41 pm, Tracubik <affdfsdfds... at b.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> i'm developing a new program.
> Mission: learn a bit of database management
> Idea: create a simple, 1 window program that show me a db of movies i've
> seen with few (<10) fields (actors, name, year etc)
> technologies i'll use: python + gtk
> db: that's the question
>
> since i'm mostly a new-bye for as regard databases, my idea is to use
> sqlite at the beginning.
>
> Is that ok? any other db to start with? (pls don't say mysql or similar,
> they are too complex and i'll use this in a second step)
>
> is there any general tutorial of how to start developing a database? i
> mean a general guide to databases you can suggest to me?
> Thank you all
>
> MedeoTL
>
> P.s. since i have a ods sheet files (libreoffice calc), is there a way to
> easily convert it in a sqlite db? (maybe via csv)

To learn DBMS you need to learn sql
[Note sql is necessary but not sufficient for learning DBMS]
I recommend lightweight approaches to start with -- others have
mentioned access, libreoffice-base.
One more lightweight playpen is firefox plugin sqlite-manager

> Is that ok? any other db to start with? (pls don't say mysql or similar,
> they are too complex and i'll use this in a second step)

Correct. First you must figure out how to structure data -- jargon is
normalization.
After that you can look at transactions, ACID, distribution and all
the other good stuff.