all() is slow?

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 23:40:25 EST 2011

> (And it's really not a good idea to be proud of your
> ignorance...)

I wasn't bragging.

> But you're happy to accept the opinions of random posters saying "exec
> is evil"?
[...]
> As opposed to your in-depth critique?
[...]
> No, instead you have a thread full of people happy to criticise
> something for which they're providing no alternative implementation.
> You can't exactly say _why_ it's bad, other than other people have
> echoed it, but you won't actually do anything about it.

I said it was bad because I found it difficult to read and it was
"weird". I also mentioned that it's conceivable that it has security
flaws, but that's not as big a deal. I believe I also said that it was
bad because it resulted in """arbitrary""" limitations in
functionality. So, yes, I did say why it's bad, and it's not just
because other people say so. My reasons are weak, but that's a
different story.

I also mentioned the alternative implementation, which uses a dict.
There was even already a patch submitted to make namedtuple work this
way, so I don't think I had to be too specific. R. Hettinger rejected
this patch, which was what I was referring to when I was referring to
handwaviness.

So, no.

> Just as I thought.

Woo condescension.