scope of function parameters

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun May 29 22:37:30 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Of course, there's a significant difference between a mailing list
>> post and a detailed and well copyedited article. Quite frequently I'll
>> ramble on list, in a way quite inappropriate to a publication that
>> would be linked to as a "hey guys, here's how it is" page. Different
>> media, different standards.
>
> Right. But Steven specifically asked for constructive criticism, which I
> took as permission to treat the referenced post as an article in need of
> copy editing :-)

Indeed. Was just saying that there are times when you need to get the
slug out first, and times when it's okay to be a little less impactual
(if that's a word). Although it's still important to deliver your
message promptly.

Of course, there are other contexts where you specifically do NOT want
to give everything away at the beginning. Certain styles of rhetoric
demand that you set the scene, build your situation, and only at the
climax reveal what it is you are trying to say.

Ahh! wordsmithing, how we love thee.

Chris Angelico