Why did Quora choose Python for its development?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu May 26 08:51:48 EDT 2011

In article <94709uF99gU5 at mid.individual.net>,
 Neil Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:

> On 2011-05-25, Matty Sarro <msarro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > General readability is a farce. If it was true we would only
> > have one section to the library. Different people enjoy
> > reading, and can comprehend better in different ways. THat's
> > why some people are super verbose - hell, just look at this
> > here post! :)
>
> Despite individual proclivities, there remain standards of
> readability enshrined in our dictionaries and grammar handbooks.
> Claiming that code readability of code is to be judged solely
> subjectively by each individual absolves code of the
> responsibility to communicate to more than just its author.

Also, the purpose of source code is to transmit information (to both the
compiler and to human readers).  That is a much narrower purpose than is
served by books in a library, many of which are written as
entertainment.  Sometimes, the real enjoyment (in literature) comes in
figuring out what the author really meant.