Python 3 vs Python 2.7 dilemma

Jorge Romero jorgeromero178 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 10:10:30 EDT 2011

I would recommend you going on the Python 2.x path.

Python 2.x is far from being deprecated. According to Wesley Chun (active
member of Python community and author of Core Python Programming) on a
Google I/O talk, everybody will be using Python 3 by 2018, so there's still
plenty of time. Besides, you can start with Python 2.7, which still is 2.x
but introduces 3.x features, and in some benchmarks seems to be more
efficient than latest 3.x.

3.x is said to be backwards incompatible, but that incompatibility is not
something that would bring you a limitation on porting your code later.

So, for the sake of web frameworks and runtime infrastructures, I'd stick to
2.x.

This is my IMHO, I'm sure you can get a more accurate answer from someone in
this list more experienced in the matter ;)

Have a good one.

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Navkirat Singh <n4vpython at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I have been trying to fight this issue for sometime now. I know that a
> large part of the python 3rd party software base has not been ported to
> python 3 yet. I am trying to build a web-based enterprise solution for my
> client. Most of reputed frameworks like Django and Turbo gears are yet in
> the 2.x stage. I know that these frameworks are extremely good. But I wanted
> to build my base with python 3 as that is what is going to prevail in the
> future.
>
> I have built my own little architecture using python3. Here is what I have
> accomplished till now:
>
> a) A multiprocessing webserver built directly using low level sockets for
> maximum control, conforming to RFC 2616 (not completely right now).
> b) A HTTP message parser  for parsing HTTP/1.1 requests and generating
> response messages
> c) A session control base using python multiprocessing dictionary manager
> d) A partially build MVC model, without a templating engine at the moment.
> I am planning to put Jinja 3 there.
>
> I have spent months of free time doing this. I have learnt a lot, but well
> I am not sure if the path I am on is the right one.
>
> My question to everyone is whether I should go ahead with this approach, or
> should I just use 2.x technology? I am not sure if I will be able to port
> all the code to python3 later.
>
> I will really appreciate any input.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Navkirat