Python 3 vs Python 2.7 dilemma

Navkirat Singh n4vpython at gmail.com
Tue May 17 00:48:52 EDT 2011

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to fight this issue for sometime now. I know that a large
part of the python 3rd party software base has not been ported to python 3
yet. I am trying to build a web-based enterprise solution for my client.
Most of reputed frameworks like Django and Turbo gears are yet in the 2.x
stage. I know that these frameworks are extremely good. But I wanted to
build my base with python 3 as that is what is going to prevail in the
future.

I have built my own little architecture using python3. Here is what I have
accomplished till now:

a) A multiprocessing webserver built directly using low level sockets for
maximum control, conforming to RFC 2616 (not completely right now).
b) A HTTP message parser  for parsing HTTP/1.1 requests and generating
response messages
c) A session control base using python multiprocessing dictionary manager
d) A partially build MVC model, without a templating engine at the moment. I
am planning to put Jinja 3 there.

I have spent months of free time doing this. I have learnt a lot, but well I
am not sure if the path I am on is the right one.

My question to everyone is whether I should go ahead with this approach, or
should I just use 2.x technology? I am not sure if I will be able to port
all the code to python3 later.

I will really appreciate any input.

Thanks and regards,
Navkirat