obviscating python code for distribution

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Mon May 16 01:41:23 EDT 2011

Hello:
Thanks all for your information and ideas. I like the idea of open
source; I have a fairly large (or large, by my standards anyway) project
that I am working on that is open source.

Here's kind of what I want to prevent. I want to write a multi-player
online game; everyone will essentually end up connecting to my server to
play the game. I don't really like the idea of security through
obscurity, but I wanted to prevent a couple of problems.
1) First I want to prevent people from hacking at the code, then using
my server as a test for their new setups. I do not want someone to gain
some extra advantage just by editing the code.
Is there some other solution to this, short of closed-source?
Thanks,