lightweight way to create new projects from templates

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 12 00:00:08 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 4:34 AM, Jonathan Hartley <tartley at tartley.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm looking for a quick way to create new Python projects from a template.
>
> I understand that 'Paste' (http://pythonpaste.org/) is one way to do this,
> but I find Paste very intimidating because of all the functionality it
> includes. I'm not even sure whether 'creating new projects from templates'
> is the central goal of Paste, or just an incidental benefit that it provides
> while performing some other task.
>
> As a lightweight alternative, I'm creating a project called 'Genesis'.
> Functionally, it will be little more than a 'cp -r' followed by a few search
> and replace operations.

Depending on how simple your goals are, it might be possible to do it
with a simple shell or Python script that creates multiple files
and/or directories. That way, your template is all contained in a
single file, which is convenient for distribution and such; and the
scripting facilities can handle the search and replace operations.

Chris Angelico