What other languages use the same data model as Python?

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Wed May 4 15:33:34 EDT 2011

Hans Georg Schaathun wrote:
> In C it is pass by value, as the pointer
> is explicit and do whatever you want with the pointer value.

You clearly are not a C programmer.

Most of my C data abstractions use dual circular linked lists of
pointers to structures of pointers. *All* of that is only ever passed
(at least in my programming) as references. My code almost never passes
data by value.

We do not consider passing a pointer as *by value* because its an
address; by definition, that is pass-by-reference. We are not passing
the *value* of the data, we are passing the memory location (the
reference) to the data. Pass by *value* on the other hand actually
places the *value* of the data item on the call stack as a parameter.

Much of this conversation has more to do with semantics.

kind regards,
m harris