What other languages use the same data model as Python?

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Wed May 4 09:13:48 EDT 2011

On May 4, 6:56 am, Hans Georg Schaathun <h... at schaathun.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2011 02:56:28 -0700 (PDT), Devin Jeanpierre  <jeanpierr... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> :  Eh, that example doesn't say what you think it does. It has the same
> :  behavior in C:http://ideone.com/Fq09N. Python is pass-by-value in a
> :  meaningful sense, it's just that by saying that we say that the values
> :  being passed are references/pointers.
>
> No, Python is not pass-by-value, because the pointer is abstracted
> away.  You transmit arguments by reference only and cannot access the
> value of the reference.  In C it is pass by value, as the pointer
> is explicit and do whatever you want with the pointer value.

The same argument applies to every language I know but two, all of
which describe themselves as pass-by-value. What you say certainly has
a consistency to it, it's just at odds with how I generally see the
term being applied. Forgive me if I don't share the same definition as
you, even if I do appreciate its elegance.

Devin Jeanpierre