Development tools and practices for Pythonistas

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun May 1 23:06:40 EDT 2011

On Apr 30, 8:21 am, CM <cmpyt... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A lone developer using such a VCS reaps the benefits of this by getting
> > good merging support.
>
> While we're on the topic, when should a lone developer bother to start
> using a VCS?  At what point in the complexity of a project (say a hobby
> project, but > a somewhat seriousish one, around ~5-9k LOC) is the added
> complexity of bringing a VCS into it worth it?

When you hit your first bug?
Ok seriously, when you hit your first serious bug maybe?

I am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned rcs so far
Not an option if you are not on a *ix system and not something I am
specifically recommending.
[I grew up on rcs 15 years ago but not used it much of late]
You may want to look at rcs if you are in the space where you want:
-- something better than tarballs
-- no pretensions beyond single-user, single-machine, (almost)single-
file usage (ie small scale)
-- something that integrates nicely with emacs