Development tools and practices for Pythonistas

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sun May 1 19:33:00 EDT 2011

On Sunday 01 May 2011 18:11, Dietmar Schwertberger wrote:

> Am 01.05.2011 02:47, schrieb Shawn Milochik:
>> Look at the big two sites for open-source repositories -- github and
>> bitbucket. One's git, the other Mercurial. I don't think you can go
>> wrong picking either one.
>
> Can any of those be used from Python as a library, i.e. something like
> import Hg
> r = Hg.open(path)
>
> When I had a look at Mercurial, which is implemented in Python,
> it was implemented in a way that I could not do that. It was implemented
> as rather monolithic program which could be used from os.system(...)
> only.

After noting the warnings it contains, see the following page for a
description of the Python API for Mercurial:

  http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/MercurialApi

Git also has a Python API, which is fairly reasonable to use, though a bit
different to the Mercurial one:

  http://www.samba.org/~jelmer/dulwich/

I've used both with some success.

David