possible to run a python script without installing python?

scattered tooscattered at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 20:08:53 EDT 2011

On Mar 15, 4:58 pm, davidj411 <davidj... at gmail.com> wrote:
> it seems that if I copy the python.exe binary and the folders
> associated with it to a server without python, i can run python.
> does anyone know which files are important to copy and which can be
> omitted?
>
> i know about py2exe and have had no luck with it.

Wouldn't figuring out how to use py2exe be, well, *easier* than
figuring out what a minimal install would look like? Your question
can't be answered in the abstract. Something is important if you use
it. Without seeing your code (and without detailed knowledge of Python
internals), there is no way to tell what that might be. You can of
course omit things that you don't use - but because of various
dependencies you might be using a file without knowing it. One of the
purposes of a tool like py2exe is to automatically handle such
dependencies.