Keyboard Layout: Dvorak vs Colemak: is it Worthwhile to Improve the Dvorak Layout?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 08:35:32 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 14:40, Xah Lee <xahlee at gmail.com> wrote:
> very nice review! and on geekhack.org too — the hardcore keyboard mod site!
> I enjoyed reading it.

Yes, that is some forum! Wait until I post my mods. You've never seen
such abused input devices, I hope.

> i only started to use linux this month, from 10 years hiatus. First
> thing to do there is remap keys to the way i like of course. But am
> not familiar on how-to there. Seems xmodmap is becoming obsolete and
> XKB is in place. There's a couple nice sites about XKB but havn't had
> a chance to study them yet.

XKB is pretty configurable but some stuff is not well documented. Here
are some of my bookmarked resources, to get you started:

// Making new layouts
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Altering_or_Creating_Keyboard_Maps
http://www.x.org/wiki/XKB
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/XKeyboardConfig
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Configuring_keyboards
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Background:_How_keyboards_work
http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/xmodmap.1.html

// Enabling multimedia keys (also useful for the former)
http://abesto.host22.com/2009/04/microsoft-ergonomic-4000-and-linux.html
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Microsoft_Natural_Ergonomic_Keyboard_4000
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KDEMultimediaKeys
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/keys.html
http://cweiske.de/howto/xmodmap/allinone.html
http://linux.die.net/man/8/setkeycodes
http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/funkey/
http://juliano.info/en/Blog:Memory_Leak/Linux,_KDE:_Mapping_functions_to_extra_keys
http://linux.playofmind.net/extra_keys/
http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2006/04/mapping-unsupported-keys-with-xmodmap.html

And as I know you to be an Emac man:
https://github.com/r0adrunner/Space2Ctrl

> May i ask you a few questions down the
> road? (maybe we can add each other on google talk or some social
> network)

Sure, I'll email you from my personal email account soon. But after a
few more hours, I won't be available until late July.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com