Keyboard Layout: Dvorak vs Colemak: is it Worthwhile to Improve the Dvorak Layout?

Xah Lee xahlee at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 07:40:45 EDT 2011

On Jun 18, 4:06 am, Dotan Cohen <dotanco... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 01:09, Xah Lee <xah... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > thanks. didn't know about Ducky keyboard. Looks good. Also nice to
> > hear your experience about Truly Ergonomic keyboard.
>
> I like it, see my first-hour review here:http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:18154

very nice review! and on geekhack.org too — the hardcore keyboard mod site!
I enjoyed reading it.

> > no actually i don't know how to make normal letter keys as (ctrl, alt)
> > modifiers. You'll need a usb hid remapper. (there's a couple for mac
> > os x i linked on my site but i couldn't verify cuz am now on a 6 years
> > old powerpc with outdated mac os x) For Windows, Microsoft made a
> > layout maker. I haven't used it so i don't know if it allows mapping
> > letter keys as modifier. Have you tried it?
>
> I use Kubuntu Linux.

i only started to use linux this month, from 10 years hiatus. First
thing to do there is remap keys to the way i like of course. But am
not familiar on how-to there. Seems xmodmap is becoming obsolete and
XKB is in place. There's a couple nice sites about XKB but havn't had
a chance to study them yet. May i ask you a few questions down the
road? (maybe we can add each other on google talk or some social
network)

(off to email)

 Xah