Keyboard Layout: Dvorak vs Colemak: is it Worthwhile to Improve the Dvorak Layout?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 10:50:55 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:21, Elena <egarrulo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 Giu, 06:30, Tim Roberts <t... at probo.com> wrote:
>> Studies have shown that even a
>> strictly alphabetical layout works perfectly well, once the typist is
>> acclimated.
>
> Once the user is acclimated to move her hands much  more (about 40%
> more for Qwerty versus Dvorak), that is.

And disproportionate usage of fingers. On QWERTY the weakest fingers
(pinkies) do almost 1/4 of the keypresses when modifier keys, enter,
tab, and backspace are taken into account.

I'm developing a QWERTY-based layout that moves the load off the
pinkies and onto the index fingers:
http://dotancohen.com/eng/noah_ergonomic_keyboard_layout.html

There is a Colemak version in the works as well.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com