The end to all language wars and the great unity API to come!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 01:47:05 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 12:31:02 +1000, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>
>> Democracy DOES NOT WORK. Plain and simple. You cannot build a
>> programming language democratically.
>>
>        Uhm... COBOL and Ada may be close... They were committee/competition
> where the best (compromise) aspect was selected for inclusion...

And are they what you would call good languages?

A committee isn't the same as democracy, although it is related. If
you have two people making a decision, you potentially pull things in
two directions. If you have two million people making a decision, you
tear it to pieces.

Vision for a language (or any other project) cannot come from a
mandate from the masses. I'm waiting for my aquatic ceremony before I
start building a language.

ChrisA