Microsoft GUIs

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 01:29:43 EDT 2011

On 2011.07.06 12:03 AM, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> I disagree.  The stuff endusers tend to use is polished to some
> extent, but the backend is verging on hideous.  If a developer
> complains about the ugly internal structure "yeah, but you say that
> just because you're a computer person / geek."
Admittedly, I haven't tried to do a whole lot of development with the
Windows APIs, and I certainly haven't tried to develop any software
that's heavily tied to the kernel, so I could be wrong in this area.
Could you elaborate?

>     Yes, the NT kernel still has some
>     long standing bugs, but MS has done well with things that matter to
>     sysadmins. chkdsk, for example, has been around for ages, but I still
>     don't know of anything that really beats it.
>

> How about FreeBSD's ability to check a filesystem while it's in use?
Actually, I meant in Windows, as in there aren't any 3rd-party tools
that really trump chkdsk for repairing NTFS volumes. I should've
clarified that. However, that sounds like an awesome feature (though I'm
not going to switch to FreeBSD just for that).

>     I've only had a small
>     amount of experience with it so far, but Powershell seems to be an
>     excellent tool for admin scripting since it interfaces with WMI so
>     well.
>

> I worked with PowerShell for about a year (after an acquisition by
> Microsoft), before eagerly diving back to Python.  Here are some of my
> notes about the problems in PowerShell:
Did you encounter these issues with PowerShell 2? I know MS put a lot of
work into fixing and adding features to PowerShell 1, but like I said, I
haven't had much experience with it.