Implicit initialization is EVIL!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 11:17:30 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> Gregory Ewing wrote:
>
>> You've obviously never used a Macintosh. On the Mac, it's
>> perfectly normal for an application to open multiple
>> documents, each in its own window, with no one window
>> being the "main" window. Any of them can be closed (or
>> even *all* of them) and the application continues to run
>> until you explicitly quit it.
>
> Or a Linux GUI. I have kwrite running with 15 open windows. The application
> doesn't exit until the last window is closed, and no window is privileged
> over the others.

It's actually quite easy to implement this, even if you _are_ forced
to have one primary window. You just have an invisible primary whose
sole purpose is to "be the application", and then everything else is
secondary windows. Kinda defeats the purpose of forcing applications
to have one primary window, though.

To my thinking, there will always be one primary *thread*, and GUI
facilities are secondary to the process, never the other way around.
When the main thread exits, the process ends.

ChrisA