Implicit initialization is EVIL!

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 5 10:25:58 EDT 2011

Gregory Ewing wrote:

> rantingrick wrote:
>> Most applications consist of one main window
>> (a Tkinter.Tk instance).
>
> You've obviously never used a Macintosh. On the Mac, it's
> perfectly normal for an application to open multiple
> documents, each in its own window, with no one window
> being the "main" window. Any of them can be closed (or
> even *all* of them) and the application continues to run
> until you explicitly quit it.

Or a Linux GUI. I have kwrite running with 15 open windows. The application
doesn't exit until the last window is closed, and no window is privileged
over the others.

Even in Windows, the sort of MDI interface Rick seems to be describing is
less common now than it used to be -- possibly even rare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_document_interface

--
Steven