WxPython versus Tkinter.

Corey Richardson kb1pkl at aim.com
Thu Jan 27 16:48:42 EST 2011

On 01/27/2011 04:10 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2:00 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
>> On 1/27/2011 12:54 PM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>>
>>> Everything that's not accessible is not recommended.
>>
>> By you. We get that.
>>
>>  >Tkinter should be at most accepted because there is no better solution,
>>
>> As I said at the beginning of this thread, tkinter is currently the only
>> option. What would have happened if there had been a real competitor
>> when 3.0 was being developed? What would happen in the future if one
>> were developed? I do not think anyone really knows.
>>
>>> at least for Python 3, not because it is the recommended solution.
>>
>> AS far as I know, Guido has never recommended any particular gui and I
>> believe he has avoided doing so when asked.
>
> Yes but his silence speaks louder than words. He is saying " While i
> won't defend Tkinter publicly, i won't promote any others as well".
> This is a standard response you'd expect from a politician. These
> types of questions avoid dealing with the elephant in the room.
>
> We can't just assume that Tkinter is best for Python just because
> "Guido" does not want to "ruffle" some features. Actually if you look
> back over the very few post where Guido did offer an argument for
> Tkinter you'll the find the argument to be very weak. And to make
> matters worse no one has the balls to question or argue Guido. Now
> whilst i greatly respect Guido i will not hesitate for one second to
> call him on weak arguments.
>
> Case in point: Just recently i posted one of Guido's such arguments in
> another thread and responded to the argument. The original thread was
> from roughly eight years ago. Yes this is how long it has been since
> Guido offered argument for Tkinter. Does he honestly think that the
> world has not changed significantly in eight years as to render
> Tkinter into legacy? Does he also want us to believe that the world
> has not changed dramatically in the last twenty years since Tkinter
> was introduced? I have yet to get a response for his weak argument
> eight years ago and i can expect we will hear nothing now.

wxPython is the best and most mature cross-platform GUI toolkit, given a
number of constraints. The only reason wxPython isn't the standard
Python GUI toolkit is that Tkinter was there first.
-- Guido van Rossum

(from http://www.wxpython.org/quotes.php)

A weak argument - yes. But the thought is there, and it's the thought
that counts, right? ;-)