WxPython versus Tkinter.

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 16:10:09 EST 2011

On Jan 27, 2:00 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 1/27/2011 12:54 PM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>
> > Everything that's not accessible is not recommended.
>
> By you. We get that.
>
>  >Tkinter should be at most accepted because there is no better solution,
>
> As I said at the beginning of this thread, tkinter is currently the only
> option. What would have happened if there had been a real competitor
> when 3.0 was being developed? What would happen in the future if one
> were developed? I do not think anyone really knows.
>
> > at least for Python 3, not because it is the recommended solution.
>
> AS far as I know, Guido has never recommended any particular gui and I
> believe he has avoided doing so when asked.

Yes but his silence speaks louder than words. He is saying " While i
won't defend Tkinter publicly, i won't promote any others as well".
This is a standard response you'd expect from a politician. These
types of questions avoid dealing with the elephant in the room.

We can't just assume that Tkinter is best for Python just because
"Guido" does not want to "ruffle" some features. Actually if you look
back over the very few post where Guido did offer an argument for
Tkinter you'll the find the argument to be very weak. And to make
matters worse no one has the balls to question or argue Guido. Now
whilst i greatly respect Guido i will not hesitate for one second to
call him on weak arguments.

Case in point: Just recently i posted one of Guido's such arguments in
another thread and responded to the argument. The original thread was
from roughly eight years ago. Yes this is how long it has been since
Guido offered argument for Tkinter. Does he honestly think that the
world has not changed significantly in eight years as to render
Tkinter into legacy? Does he also want us to believe that the world
has not changed dramatically in the last twenty years since Tkinter
was introduced? I have yet to get a response for his weak argument
eight years ago and i can expect we will hear nothing now.

My point is this: If you (Guido) are going to offer weak arguments
then you must answer challenges to these weak arguments with facts. So
I now challenge Guido to inject a solid argument for keeping Tkinter
and i challenge him now. Before the entire world we will hash this out
once and for all. Just be aware Guido, that i will NOT be afraid to
question your facts and present good arguments based on fact. If you
*do* inject your opinion on this very important subject matter --and
do so here in a public forum-- then i believe the community will take
you more seriously. And *i* will take you more seriously. All of your
subordinates are unable to challenge me. Will you answer the challenge
Guido van Rossum? Will you?

The community at large needs to know what Guido van Rossum thinks. You
owe us that much Guido.