WxPython versus Tkinter.

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Thu Jan 27 13:30:59 EST 2011

On 1/27/2011 10:09 AM Octavian Rasnita said...
> From: "Emile van Sebille"<emile at fenx.com>
>> On 1/26/2011 11:02 PM Octavian Rasnita said...
>>
>>> As we all know, Python doesn't care too much about maintaining a
>>> backward compatibility
>>
>> Where'd you get this idea?  Between v2 and v3 yes, that was the intent.
>
> To be sincere I was thinking to the differences between Python 2 and 3.
>
>>   But otherwise, I think there's another miscommunication behind this...
>
> It might be true, however I have seen some modules that say that are ment for Python 2.5, for 2.6 or for 2.7, so there seem to be differences between these versions also.

Yes - but don't confuse forward compatibility (which means programs you
write today in the current version will work on the prior versions) with
backward compatibility (which means programs written for earlier
versions will run under newer versions)

I suspect that a lot of python 1.x code will work just fine under 2.x
just as most 2.n will work under 2.m (where m>n).  There are few
exceptions, and those mostly in the standard library.  I recall only
getting stung once (something to do with passing in a tuple instead of
two parameters in one or another imported module).

Emile