Need GUI pop-up to edit a (unicode ?) string

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Thu Jan 27 13:18:58 EST 2011

On 1/27/11 10:04 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2011-01-27, Stephen Hansen <me+list/python at ixokai.io> wrote:
>> On 1/25/11 3:02 PM, rantingrick wrote:
>>> This is a major flaw in the design and i would be
>>> happy to fix the flaw. However our "friend" Fredrick decided to
>>> copyright the module to himself! What a jerk! Which is quite
>>> disgusting considering that Tkinter, and TclTk are completely open
>>> source!
>>
>> Uh. ... LOL.
>>
>> Copyright doesn't mean what you think it means.
>>
>> Tkinter is copyrighted. Python is copyrighted. Tcl/TK is copyrgithed.
>>
>> In fact: everything that is "open source" is copyrighted. By
>> definition[* see footnote].
>
> One (domestic US) exception would be open-source software written by
> an employee of the US federal government.  Works produced by the US
> Government are not copyrighted under US domestic copyright law.  Such
> works are copyrighted under international law (which is probably what
> the Python maintainers care about).

I've actually wondered a bit about that: but the only open source
software that I'm aware of that's been government-adjacent has ended up
being written/owned by some University or joint venture funded by a
government agency -- it didn't fall into the public domain category of
content created directly by the federal government.

Are you aware of any code out there that is? Just curious. I'm not
arguing that the exception doesn't exist or anything.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai