Need GUI pop-up to edit a (unicode ?) string

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Wed Jan 26 23:48:28 EST 2011

On 1/25/11 3:02 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> This is a major flaw in the design and i would be
> happy to fix the flaw. However our "friend" Fredrick decided to
> copyright the module to himself! What a jerk! Which is quite
> disgusting considering that Tkinter, and TclTk are completely open
> source!

Uh. ... LOL.

Copyright doesn't mean what you think it means.

Tkinter is copyrighted. Python is copyrighted. Tcl/TK is copyrgithed.

In fact: everything that is "open source" is copyrighted. By
definition[* see footnote].

Open source is simply copyrighted material that has been released under
a *license* that allows you to copy it, too: sometimes with some
significant catches (i.e., GPL), sometimes with basically no strings at
all except not to sue (i.e., MIT).

So.

Its a major flaw? Well! Go fix it, you have every right to. Python's
source is released under a rather liberal license, allowing you to do
just about anything you want with it. Including fix it and even-- gasp--
submit those fixes to the bug-tracker for inclusion.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai

* Some software has no copyright, such as SQLITE: it has been released
into the public domain. But that is exceedingly rare, and can be a bit
complicated as public domain and its meaning varies from jurisdiction to
jurisdiction. Whereas copyright is pretty standard across the board and
subject to a whole lot of international treaties. I'm really not sure
you can legitimately call public domain software open source: its free
to use, modify, and do anything you want with (provided you're in a
jurisdiction which recognizes public domain), but it has its own
particular legal ... issues. Then again, IANAL.