WxPython versus Tkinter.

Nicholas Devenish misnomer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 17:45:54 EST 2011

On 25/01/2011 19:24, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> Can you tell why? Because you probably don't care about those who can't use the programs made with Tkinter or because you consider the discrimination something normal, right?
> And you said that it is not a good thing. Good thing for whom? For the blind people Tkinter is the worst thing possible. Or do you want to say that it is not true?
> No, it shouldn't be, but I see that you don't understand after this long thread why Tkinter should be avoided.
> WxPython shouldn't be the second choice. WxPython shouldn't be the first choice or the single choice. The single choices should be always only those who don't introduce discrimination. Don't you agree with this?
> Well, for the moment only WxPython doesn't include discrimination if we are talking about portable GUIs.
> Please tell me if I wasn't clear enough or what you don't agree with.
> The atitude that needs to be changed is the one that considerates the majority more important than a minority which is a minority because of health problems, a minority that is a minority without its will.
>
> In my country there is a law that says that the society should adapt to the people with disabilities (and not viceversa), and that law is probably copied from the legislation of other european countries. That law is a very good one, but the problem is that nobody cares to respect it, because most of the people have Tyler's opinion.
> Yes, I know, that's life, which is not right, that's faith, bla bla, but it doesn't mean that my atitude need to be changed. The atitude that needs to be changed is the one that considers the discrimination something normal and the one that considers that the disabled people should adapt to the society even though most of them can't do that because of their health problems.

Octavian, we get it - you are on the warpath about accessibility. And
this is, in a way, a good thing, because, yes, programmers should in
general think more about accessibility when designing their programs.
But nobody was ever persuaded to consider a complicated and subtle issue
by hostile holier-than-thou arrogance, which is what rantingricks posts
started out with, and what your posts have been slowly turning into.
This is what is 'not a good thing', in case you genuinely didn't
understand the context of my previous message. Look at the response your
earlier posts got, with experienced developers showing an interest in
actually trying out accessibility tools. Compare this with the defensive
replies you have been getting more recently.

But this thread is not about that, and the accessibility issue is mostly
a red herring that rantingrick has grabbed hold of to swing around like
a battleaxe, because nobody is going to say that accessibility doesn't
matter. Discrimination in many forms, is a real problem in our
societies, and one that is not going to be solved overnight, much as you
might wish it. Stigmatizing perfectly repectful people who haven't
encountered your needs before, or don't agree that accessibility is the
only thing that matters, is not going to solve any issues.