WxPython versus Tkinter.

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 14:32:15 EST 2011

From: "Bryan" <bryan.oakley at gmail.com>
Do non-US-based developers focus a lot on accessibility too, since
that's what really started this whole sub-thread?

Almost nobody focuses on accessibility, and nobody should focus on accessibility.

If you target a program for your national population and your national population speak a single language, then no, you won't need to use I18N.

If you create a graphic design application so you evidently target it to the sighted people, it is obviously that you won't need to make an accessible application.

But if you make a program that could be used by the whole world then you should use I18N and that program should also be accessible to everyone, not only sighted, or only English-speakers, because otherwise that application creates discrimination.
Usually I18N is offered using gettext so the users that want that application translated in their language can do the translation themselves, but if the application uses Tkinter, those who need a screen reader cannot do absolutely anything to make it accessible.

And Tyler's idea that if he finds an inaccessible application he can try to makes its own is not a valid idea, because not all the millions of users are programmers.

Octavian