WxPython versus Tkinter.

Bryan bryan.oakley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 06:50:33 EST 2011

On Jan 25, 2:02 am, Bob Martin <bob.mar... at excite.com> wrote:
> in 650595 20110124 192332 Bryan <bryan.oak... at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Thats another uninformed statement by you we can add to the mountains
> >> of useless cruft you have offered so far. Unicode IS
> >> internationalization and Guido thought it was SO important that
> >> Python3000 auto converts all strings to Unicode strings. Obviously he
> >> is moving us toward full Unicode only in the future (AS SHOULD ALL
> >> IMPLEMENTATIONS!). We need one and only one obvious way to do it. And
> >> Unicode is that way.
>
> >Ok, great. You've identified one programmer who thinks about
> >internationalization. Not much of a compelling argument there.
>
> >However, I think you missed my point. My point wasn't that people like
> >Guido don't think of these topics. It's that the people in the
> >trenches who use these tools don't think about these topics. How many
> >of your co-workers actively think about internationalization and
> >accessibility? I'm guessing none, but maybe you're lucking and work in
> >a particularly enlightened team. I've perhaps worked closely with a
> >few hundred programmers in my career, and very few of them thought of
> >these subjects. In my experience it's just not something the
> >programmer in the trenches thinks about. That is the point I was
> >trying to make.
>
> Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here.  I spent my working life as a programmer
> with a very large multi-national IT company and all software had to be fully
> "internationalized" (otherwise known as NLS) or it didn't get used.
> Do you think the whole world speaks US English?

No, absolutely not. I don't see how you go from "I don't think all
developers think about i18n" to "I think everyone speaks english".

Most very large companies think about this a lot. Most hugely
successful software is probably internationalized. Together those two
groups make up a tiny fraction of all software. Think about all the
free software you use -- how much of it is internationalized and
optimized for accessibility? I bet not much. I wish I could say more
than half of all software is internationalized but I just don't
believe that to be true based on my own personal observation.

I definitely agree that many companies, both large and small, do the
right thing here. From my experience though, many != most. I hope I'm
wrong though, because that means the we're all headed in the right
direction.