WxPython versus Tkinter.

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Mon Jan 24 13:21:07 EST 2011

Hello,

I have been on another list with Octavian, and he takes his
accessibility a bit to seriously. If things went his way, he wants laws
where -everything- has to be accessible, and it is illegal not to do so.
As a sidenote, I would like to preface everything I'm going to say by
mentioning the fact that I have been using a screen reader for many
years, so I understand some of where he is coming from.

I think my goal, (and I differ from Octavian here), is to try to find
fixes for things, rather than saying "this sucks, it does not work with
a reader, and thus it shouldn't be used). Having done a lot of
development work in the past, I can't say "hey you, I want you to make
this app accessible, and because you used TKInter it's not, so use
something else, but nothing that isn't accessible." Rather, I believe
those pushing accessibility should concentrate on the root cause; that
of fixing TKInter, and not forcing everyone else to use a different library.

I believe that the approach is the main key here, and I have had this
argument many times. If I wrote an app, and someone said something along
the lines of "you need to change a core library because it doesn't work
with this program," my first response would be who the hell are you to
say what I need to use? We need to take the approach of "This is what is
wrong, this is why, this is possibly how it could be fixed. Would you be
willing to do so?"

So, with all of this said, TKInter -is- unaccesssible for us. My
arguments have not been for or against one or the other in this thread,
but more to get RR to make a better point. Because eventually, WX would
benafit those using a screen reader a lot more than say, TKInter will.
That doesn't mean that I'm saying that we need to make it a part of the
stdlib as of yesterday, because segfaults from someone with 10+ years of
experience (multiple people, actually) says a lot, whether or not RR
wants to acknowledge said facts. I can not with good conchence say that
the switch should be done just for accessibility purposes. Obviously it
would be awesome, but I think Octavian is just focusing on himself, and
not the actual big picture here.