Which non SQL Database ?

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 16:41:05 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 3:19 PM, John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> wrote:

> On 1/22/2011 10:15 PM, Deadly Dirk wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 16:42:36 -0600, Jorge Biquez wrote:
>>
>>  Hello all.
>>>
>>> Newbie question. Sorry.
>>>
>>> As part of my process to learn python I am working on two personal
>>> applications. Both will do it fine with a simple structure of data
>>> stored in files. I now there are lot of databases around I can use but I
>>> would like to know yoor advice on what other options you would consider
>>> for the job (it is training so no pressure on performance).
>>>

>    For something like that, I'd suggest just using SQLite.  It comes
> with the Python distribution, it's well documented, and reasonably easy
> to use.
>
>    The "NoSQL" stuff is mostly for people doing really big databases
> for large web sites.  The kind of operations where you have multiple
> data centers, thousands of rackmount servers, a huge traffic load,
> and smart people thinking about the implications of "eventually
> consistent".
>
>    Google's BigTable and Facebook's Cassandra offer impressive
> performance at very large scale.  But they're way overkill for
> a desktop app.  Even the midrange systems, like CouchDB, are
> far too much machinery for a desktop app.
>
>                                        John Nagle

This may sound a bit 'old school', but if it's a non-sql solution you're
after, what about c-isam ?
Data is indexed and stored in flat files. For a personal app that maintains
a small footprint, it's relative performance is acceptable. If the number of
entities and attributes rises above a handful, however, I would recommend
investing more thought in whether this is a permanent solution.

Regards

Jack