Which non SQL Database ?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sun Jan 23 15:19:38 EST 2011

On 1/22/2011 10:15 PM, Deadly Dirk wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 16:42:36 -0600, Jorge Biquez wrote:
>
>> Hello all.
>>
>> Newbie question. Sorry.
>>
>> As part of my process to learn python I am working on two personal
>> applications. Both will do it fine with a simple structure of data
>> stored in files. I now there are lot of databases around I can use but I
>> would like to know yoor advice on what other options you would consider
>> for the job (it is training so no pressure on performance).

     For something like that, I'd suggest just using SQLite.  It comes
with the Python distribution, it's well documented, and reasonably easy
to use.

     The "NoSQL" stuff is mostly for people doing really big databases
for large web sites.  The kind of operations where you have multiple
data centers, thousands of rackmount servers, a huge traffic load,
and smart people thinking about the implications of "eventually
consistent".

     Google's BigTable and Facebook's Cassandra offer impressive
performance at very large scale.  But they're way overkill for
a desktop app.  Even the midrange systems, like CouchDB, are
far too much machinery for a desktop app.

					John Nagle