Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 11:36:20 EST 2011

On Jan 20, 5:30 pm, Bill Felton <subscripti... at cagttraining.com>
wrote:
> With some hesitation, I feel a need to jump in here.

This thread is now at 239 posts (and so I too hesitate...)

The arguments for size, dependencies etc are what may be termed 'sys-
ad' perspectives.
The questions of 'it looks nice/ancient etc' are user issues.

What about some programmer perspective?

Using something like VB-in-.NET allows a programmer to put up
significant uis with close to zero coding.  Many programmers would
look down on these as 'non-programmers'
[I should know: I inhabited a university CS dept for nearly 20 years
where Turing machines and lambda calculus are fashionable and getchar/
putchar programs are more hip than pleasant-looking GUIs.  Many of our
problems stem from the fact that this academic hubris is justified as
objective]

So the (to me) relevant questions relating to GUIs are for example:
1. Is glade (and others such) equal to wxpython, tkinter and other
such 'backends'?
2. Can glade (or whichever is the best such tool today) compare to VB
in .NET or does it look like a bad joke in comparison (I guess the
current thing may not be VB but WPF but I dont want to pretend to know
too much about windows)