Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 19:01:01 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:04 PM, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> No, it's about other operating systems too, but what it comes down to
>>> is that rantingrick has been on the warpath about tkinter for a while,
>>> and hasn't proposed a particularly viable alternative. The sad thing
>>> is that if he weren't so unhinged his proposal would probably fare
>>> much better
>
> Look, the folks are c.l.py are far too touchy and they really need to
> lighten up. Really! The fact that my speech style and delivery does
> not fit some "cookie cutter" pre-directive is just BS. The Python
> community is NOT a homogeneous block you know, and it should not be!
> People have said to me in the past..."""Well you could participate at
> python-dev or python-ideas or the tracker but NOT as ranting rick, you
> need to use a better name"""... What? What does it matter what my name
> is anyway. This is just being pedantic!!

I'm not telling you to change your behavior. I'm telling you that the
way you're doing things isn't effective. You can take that advice or
not, just as I can decide to listen to you... or not.

I also wouldn't advise you to change your name again. I think you've
already landed on a couple of spam lists for that.

>> Sorry for the truncation. I was going to say that I know I would be
>> more supportive of it if he was building support for something instead
>> of tearing everything else down.
>
> I am not "tearing down" anything, however that was a nice try Geremy
> *wink*. The only thing that is being "torn down" is the solid wall of
> rabid resistance that has been slowly built by this community over
> many years.

I don't think this is the case, first because you aren't very good at
getting anybody to take you seriously and second because I don't think
that resistance on this issue is as mindless as you claim.

> We have become too centralized and many folks are being
> left out of the community decision process.

I disagree with the first half. The second I'm more prone to agree
with, although I don't have a lot of great ideas about how to solve
the problem. You seem to be full of ideas (most of which I think are
terrible) but very short on actually getting anything done. Until you
begin to remedy that I doubt very many people here will take you as
seriously as you seem to want.

Also, be careful with where you say 'we'- I certainly don't recognize
your authority to speak on behalf of the community, and I suspect that
an overwhelming majority of the community's other members feel the
same way.

> You (and others) act like
> my only concern is to destroy what has been built (Tkinter) and that
> is not the case!

Seems like it from where I'm sitting. YMMV, but I think you would do
much better if you focused on the problem of building a system that
addressed the concerns others have raised rather than pretending they
aren't valid concerns.

> But like old governments, YOU (the python elite!)
> have lost all vision for the future.

Hey, cool, I'm a member of the elite now. You wouldn't happen to know
how to list that on a resume, would you?

> And you've also lost all
> connection with the people. I am desperately trying to to snap you out
> of this psychosis before it is too late! Tkinter will be the downfall
> of Python if we cannot muster the resolve to replace it with something
> that is current (or more current) technology.

Citation needed.

Geremy Condra