Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 21:46:42 EST 2011

On Jan 18, 8:27 pm, Corey Richardson <kb1... at aim.com> wrote:

> You mentioned having a segment of wxPython in the stdlib earlier. If
> this actually feasible from a legal standpoint, and would the
> maintainers of wxPython be willing to put it in the stdlib? Not to
> mention the wonderful people over at python-dev.

This might come as a shock to you, but it really doesn't matter what
the wxPython folks think about the inclusion of wxPython into the
stdlib. If they are against it (or simply don't care) then they can
continue to focus their efforts on the full version. No harm done,
really. As far as python-dev is concerned -- it does matter! However
if the community wants change, and makes enough noise, they will have
no choice either. ;)

> Why would you add in only a part of wxPython, instead of all of it?

see my next answer for detail...

> Is
> the work to cut it down really an advantage over the size of the full
> toolkit? From what I just checked, the source tarball is 40MB. Can that
> much really be added to the Python stdlib?

40MB is far too big. Much of wxPython is thousands of widgets that
have no buisness in the stdlib. We only want a very limited set (much
like what Tkinter is composed of now) and then for the people who want
to create professional GUI's they can download the full 40MB. The
great advantage here is scalability. Tkinter cannot do this. And
anybody who alludes to this is a liar.

>  What other alternatives are
> there, besides wxPython, that are perhaps a bit smaller.

Well i am open to any and all alternatives. However no many have been
brought forward. My dream would be to have something completely python
based, although i realize that the work involved is far too enormous.
So we must build from something that already exists. Nothing is really
perfect. WxPython IS NOT perfect however it is a step forward.

As far as alternative here is a list...

    http://docs.python.org/faq/gui