Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 14:03:55 EST 2011

On Jan 18, 12:25 pm, Arndt Roger Schneider <arndt.ro... at addcom.de>
wrote:
> rantingrick schrieb:
> > On Jan 18, 7:09 am, Arndt Roger Schneider <arndt.ro... at addcom.de>

> > We DO need to consider the mobile market in this decision. Maybe it is
> > time for us to actually get on the cutting edge of GUI's. Maybe we
> > should head an effort to create a REAL 21st century GUI that can
> > handle desktop, mobile, and accessibility, and do it all whilst
> > looking very sharp! Sure we rob from peter to pay paul. We will use
> > Tkinters awesome API and geometry managers, wxPythons feature
> > richness, and any other code we can steal to make this work!
>
> I am not sure whether this sarcasms or for real...,
> so I'll take for genuine.

No this is real, albeit a bit fantastical. Thats probably why you
thought it was sarcasm :).

However, we need to start a revolution in the GUI world. Currently we
(as developers) are slaves to the OEM's and OS's. This must change. We
must unify GUI coding the same way OpenGL unified graphics coding.
Multiplicity is ruining any and all advancements in Graphical User
Interfaces. Sure multiplicity is great in emerging systems (language,
culture, GUI, etc, etc) However at some point  you must reign in this
multiplicity and harness the collective knowledge into an all
encompassing standard. OpenGUI is that standard.  It should be shipped
with every OS in the world. This is the only way we can have mobile,
desktop, and accessibility all combined into one beautiful package.
Then the contest come down to who can create the best abstraction API.

> Tk is also doomed, and Tkinter isn't Tk.
> You are right about keeping the separate geometry
> managers, though.
>
> For starters:http://kenai.com/projects/swank

This looks like a very young project (beta) and i could not find a
widget set. However i will investigate more. Thanks

However we need to think beyond even a Python community scale. This
problem is inherent in every language community out there. We to unify
the GUI standard. And we are a decade behind in development. (yes i am
completely serious about all of this!).