Elliptic Curve Prime factorisation

mukesh tiwari mukeshtiwari.iiitm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 23:34:49 EST 2011

On Jan 15, 7:02 am, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:52:21 -0800, mukesh tiwari wrote:
> > Hello all , I have implemented Elliptic curve prime factorisation using
> > wikipedia [
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenstra_elliptic_curve_factorization]. I
> > think that this code is not optimised and posting for further
> > improvement. Feel free to comment and if you have any link regarding
> > Elliptic curve prime factorisation , kindly post it. Thank you
>
> I don't think you can optimize it further in pure Python, although it is
> probably a good candidate for something like Cython, Pyrex or Shedskin.
>
> I think the code can be optimized for easier reading by putting single
> spaces around operators, following commas, etc. I find your style
> difficult to read.
>
> It could do with a docstring explaining what it does and how to use it,
> and some doctests. But other than that, it looks good. Have you
> considered putting it up on the ActiveState Python cookbook?
>
> --
> Steven

Thank you for your suggestion. I posted it ActiveState  with comments.
#!/usr/local/bin/python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
import math
import random
#y^2=x^3+ax+b mod n

# ax+by=gcd(a,b). This function returns [gcd(a,b),x,y]. Source
Wikipedia
def extended_gcd(a,b):
	x,y,lastx,lasty=0,1,1,0
	while b!=0:
		q=a/b
		a,b=b,a%b
		x,lastx=(lastx-q*x,x)
		y,lasty=(lasty-q*y,y)
	if a<0:
		return (-a,-lastx,-lasty)
	else:
		return (a,lastx,lasty)
def gcd(a,b):
        if a < 0:  a = -a
        if b < 0:  b = -b
        if a == 0: return b
        if b == 0: return a
        while b != 0:
                (a, b) = (b, a%b)
        return a

# pick first a point P=(u,v) with random non-zero coordinates u,v (mod
N), then pick a random non-zero A (mod N),
# then take B = u^2 - v^3 - Ax (mod N).
# http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenstra_elliptic_curve_factorization

def randomCurve(N):
	A,u,v=random.randrange(N),random.randrange(N),random.randrange(N)
        B=(v*v-u*u*u-A*u)%N
        return [(A,B,N),(u,v)]

	# Given the curve y^2 = x^3 + ax + b over the field K (whose
characteristic we assume to be neither 2 nor 3), and points
	# P = (xP, yP) and Q = (xQ, yQ) on the curve, assume first that xP !=
xQ. Let the slope of the line s = (yP - yQ)/(xP - xQ); since K 		# is
a field, s is well-defined. Then we can define R = P + Q = (xR, - yR)
by
	#	s=(xP-xQ)/(yP-yQ) Mod N
	#	xR=s^2-xP-xQ	Mod N
	#	yR=yP+s(xR-xP)	Mod N
	# If xP = xQ, then there are two options: if yP = -yQ, including the
case where yP = yQ = 0, then the sum is defined as 0[Identity]. 		#
thus, the inverse of each point on the curve is found by reflecting it
across the x-axis. If yP = yQ != 0, then R = P + P = 2P = 		# (xR,
-yR) is given by
	#	s=3xP^2+a/(2yP)	Mod N
	#	xR=s^2-2xP	Mod N
	#	yR=yP+s(xR-xP)	Mod N
	#	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_curve#The_group_law''')

def addPoint(E,p_1,p_2):
	if p_1=="Identity": return [p_2,1]
	if p_2=="Identity": return [p_1,1]
	a,b,n=E
	(x_1,y_1)=p_1
	(x_2,y_2)=p_2
	x_1%=n
	y_1%=n
	x_2%=n
	y_2%=n
	if x_1 != x_2 :
		d,u,v=extended_gcd(x_1-x_2,n)
		s=((y_1-y_2)*u)%n
		x_3=(s*s-x_1-x_2)%n
		y_3=(-y_1-s*(x_3-x_1))%n
	else:
		if (y_1+y_2)%n==0:return ["Identity",1]
		else:
			d,u,v=extended_gcd(2*y_1,n)
			s=((3*x_1*x_1+a)*u)%n
			x_3=(s*s-2*x_1)%n
			y_3=(-y_1-s*(x_3-x_1))%n

	return [(x_3,y_3),d]

	# http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_curve_point_multiplication
	#	Q=0 [Identity element]
	#	while m:
	#		if (m is odd) Q+=P
	#		P+=P
	#		m/=2
	#	return Q')

def mulPoint(E,P,m):
	Ret="Identity"
	d=1
	while m!=0:
		if m%2!=0: Ret,d=addPoint(E,Ret,P)
		if d!=1 : return [Ret,d]  # as soon as i got anything otherthan 1
return
		P,d=addPoint(E,P,P)
		if d!=1 : return [Ret,d]
		m>>=1