python 3 and Unicode line breaking

leoboiko leoboiko at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 17:26:09 EST 2011

On Jan 14, 8:10 pm, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> The only other person I can see who has attempted to actually help the OP
> is Stefan Behnel, who tried to get more information about the problem
> being solved in order to better answer the question. The OP has, so far
> as I can see, not responded, although he has taken the time to write to
> me in private to argue further.

I have written in private because I really feel this discussion is out-
of-place here.  This thread is already in the first page of google
results for “python unicode line breaking”, “python uax #14” etc.  I
feel it would be good to use this place to discuss Unicode line
breaking, not best practices on asking questions, or in how
disappointly impolite the Internet has become.  (Briefly: As a tech
support professional myself, I prefer direct, concise questions than
crufty ones; and I try to ask questions in the most direct manner
precisely _because_ I don’t want to waste the time of kind volunteers
with my problems.)

As for taking the time to provide information, I wonder if there was
any technical problem that prevented you from seeing my reply to
Stefan, sent Jan 14, 12:29PM? He asked how exacly the stdlib module
“textwrap” differs from the Unicode algorithm, so I provided some
commented examples.